Tuesday, April 24, 2007

don't check your brains at the kitchen?!?!

Lately, I have been reading and studying Titus 2, mostly the six things that Paul asks the older women to teach the younger: to love their husband and children, to be self controlled, pure, kind, working at home, and submissive to their husbands. I am attempting to write a Bible study on these things to teach to the youth-aged girls. I have been thinking about older women in the church and why we rarely see them discipling the younger. I came to the realization that many of them have nothing to teach. Why? They either have a life that disqualifies them or they have a neatly decorated home but don't know enough scripture to teach it to another girl. This is SO sad!

So, I began to think about why women can be the best keepers at home (which is totally biblical) but they can't teach a bible study to children or younger women? While we should and are commanded to care for our home FIRST; I believe that we should be encouraged to study theology. Let me clarify here, theology is the "study of God." I don't mean that all women should read commentaries and read a bunch of old dead theologians (i do and find it exciting and helpful), I mean that they should continually read their Bible and grow in the knowledge of the Lord. Too many times we can teach the kids the facts of a Bible story out of the LifeWay curriculum or whatever, but we are scared to lead young women who are wanting to grow deeper in knowledge of the Lord. If you think I am making this up, next time your church needs a women speaker for the ladies retreat or leading a woman's study, try and find one!!


I am often encouraged by "spiritual mothers" such as Susannah Spurgeon, Noel Piper, Sarah Edwards, Carolyn Mahaney and Elisabeth Elliot who have such a radical passion for ministry and theology. These ladies seem to be or haven been a huge helpmate for their husband's ministry. Yes, they kept the home in order (read any of their writings) but also they had a love for God that couldn't keep them from teaching it to other ladies. They are smart in the things of God and foolish in the eyes of the world. They contributed much to their husbands career and/or calling. In fact, that was their life's work. Yes, men are the authority in the church, but reading, studying and equipping with the Word of God is not just for the men. As Christians, we are called to give an account; we are to answer in and out of season. I have been doing a study lately on the life of Susannah Spurgeon and I was amazed at how much she helped her husband, Charles, with his ministry. Oh Yes, she raised his kids and kept up with the home, but she also helped him with a book ministry and sermon ideas. Wow! He credits her for much of his encouragement and support. Here is a quote from an article I found:

"On Saturdays, here, as in their other homes, husband and wife would work together in the preparation of the sermon which the former was to deliver on the coming morning, and happy indeed were the times thus spent. Sometimes when the preacher had been unable to settle upon a text, he would say, “Wifey, what shall I do? God has not given me a text yet,” and Mrs. Spurgeon would comfort him as well as she could. Perhaps she would be able to suggest a suitable passage, in which case her husband, after preaching, would give her due credit in referring to the sermon by saying: “You gave me that text.” When the lady was called into the study on these Saturday evenings by her husband there was always an easy chair, she tells us, drawn up to the table by Mr. Spurgeon’s side, and a number of open books piled one upon another from which she used to read as directed by her husband. “‘With these old volumes around him he was like a honey-bee amid the flowers; he seemed to know how to extract and carry off the sweet spoils from the most unpromising-looking tome among them. His acquaintance with them was so familiar and complete that he could at once place his hand on any author who had written upon the portion of Scripture which was engaging his attention; and I was, in this pleasant fashion, introduced to many of the Puritan and other divines, whom otherwise I might not have known.” (http://www.biblebb.com/files/SPURGEON/mrsspur.htm)

She was involved: she read with him, studied, and took book recommendations for her private reading. What an example ministry team! Oh how I value and appreciate this. This can strengthen our marriages and ministries.

Please don't label me a feminist or unsubmissive. I cook, clean, stay at home, and support Christian schooling. I am not trying to say Christianity has made us "Stepford Wives" as Hollywood does. I would just love to see God raise up more women who have a passion to study His Word and teach it among other ladies, and even use it to assist their husbands in ministry.

Recently, I have become very appreciative of my own pastor's wife (shout out to Ruthie), who in NO way would be considered unsubmissive or worldly, but she can teach the women of God and she can give answer when asked the hard questions. She does not merely say to each hard question, "ooh, go ask my husband. "She knows her Word. She studies it! Praise be to God that she can assist and help our pastor but still knows her place under him.

May our husbands be able to say of us as Charles did of Susannah:
"My Own Dear one--None know how grateful I am to God for you. In all I have ever done for Him, you have a large share. For in making me so happy you have fitted me for service. Not an ounce of power has ever been lost to the good cause through you. I have served the Lord far more, and never less, for your sweet companionship. The Lord God Almighty bless you now and forever!" (http://chi.gospelcom.net/GLIMPSEF/Glimpses/glmps103.shtml)

- Amanda

5 comments:

Matt Fletcher said...

Terrific article. Clever title! Thank God for women who know the Word, whose homes are a taste of heaven. May their tribe increase!

lobsterseed said...

Amanda what you said is so true!! Thanks for telling me about Elisabeth Elliot's book Let Me Be a Woman, it is great so far and its great to read something by a woman who really knows her stuff. Having great woman like you and wonderful authors like Elisabeth Elliot and Lisa Ryan has really helped me grow closer in my walk with Christ. Thanks!

Seth said...

Hi Amanda, its very nice to "meet" you. I'm Nick's old roommate from HBU.

I agree with the above comments, in that you have written a wonderfully well thought out article here. Myself, I subscribe to the Liberationist theology line of thought... And this caused me to question something you wrote.

What is wrong with being labeled a feminist or unsubmissive? To me, and millions of others, feminism is simply stepping forward to prove yourself of equal worth. I have yet to meet a woman that can't do as much or more than a typical man can. In this modern time that we're in, women must have their own voice. If you don't, then how should you be trusted to raise the children that will be our future. We live in a world that creativity and productivity are opposites, and we need free thinking women (and men) to instill the value of creativity and forward thinking in what we do daily.

I realize that this is slightly away from the points that you were making in your writing. I'm only trying to say that in my way of thinking, the only "place" for a woman to be, is in a position where she can be strong and challenge the ideas of those around her... thinking freely, and not neccessarily submissively.

Hi Nick! :)

Nick and Amanda Jones said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nick and Amanda Jones said...

Seth,
I am so glad you visited our blog. It's nice to meet Nick's old roomie.
I see what you are trying to say, however i attempt to root all that i say on this blog in Scripture. I can see where you are coming from but can't find your train of thought anywhere in scripture. The bible is my ultimate authority on all matters and it encourages submissive women. God is glorified when we follow his pattern and created order. But, you can be a strong women with a voice and still fulfill the role that God has called you to. I find that true submission is liberating. I know my husband encourages my opinion on all matters. But scripture says that he is my authority.

You don't have to agree with me but you are going to have a hard time proving that the Bible says otherwise.

Thanks for your comment. I always appreciate people that can make me think! :)