Thursday, May 3, 2007

Noah...

Ninety-three years to go
If the tradition's correct
The work appears so slow
They don’t seem to expect

Perhaps I am building salvation
Perhaps I am making a fire
Will the end bring celebration
Or will I be found a liar

It seems I am missing the party
Though my drinks come after the rain
So I’ll work on for something hearty
The work will not be in vain

So as my hammer pounds
And as the gopher falls
The mighty thunder sounds
Get the donkeys in the stalls

Then my God will decide
Whether eight was truly enough
When He assigned my life deride
And the people to rebuff



As you can see, I've been thinking about Noah lately. Tradition says it took him 120 years to build the ark, and here I am only 27. Of course, He didn't start until after he was 500, but you get the point.

The people were busy with their lives. Eating, drinking, getting married...the good life. And there was Noah in the midst of them, doing what God commanded. I wonder what the people thought? There were some, of course, who didn't notice at all. There were others, I'm sure, who noticed, but laughed and then went on with their merry lives. But what I really wonder is, were there other ship-makers?

Were there some who came to Noah and started giving instructions? You can hear them now:

"Noah, you know, as much time and energy as you're putting into this thing, you could just buy a boat and not have to deal with all this headache."

Or maybe, "No, no, no, these plans won't work at all. Too big. And the proportions are all wrong. This will never stay afloat."

Or maybe even, "Hey Noah, if you want a kick-butt ship, you need to attract people to it. So start by putting down the hammer and grabbing a drink. Loosen up! Now, people don't like gopher wood, so let's look at some alternatives. And the petting zoo theme? Well, that looks nice on paper, but I really think we need to go with more of a contemplative, yet playful atmosphere. And whatever you do, don't forget to..."

Now, I don't know if Noah ever really heard any of these things. But I hear them. Everyday. And it's a constant struggle between what God is calling me to do and what everyone else thinks.

[I guess a few disclaimers are in order before I go further. First, God never, let me repeat never, calls you to do something contrary to His will, as displayed in scripture. Adultery, divorce (in most cases), racism, the love of money, greed, gossip, and so many others, are not God's will. Scripture makes that plain. So don't say that God is calling you to do something if it is directly spoken against in scripture. Second, you are not a church unto yourself. It is God's will for us, as believers, to be a part of a local church. If you can't find a godly church around you, then move. Find a biblical church (none are perfect, but find one that preaches scripture and strives for holiness) and submit to it. I assure you, you are not the lone voice of reason and the only one in America getting it right. This article is about working in ministry - not merely being a part of the church. So please don't use anything here as an excuse to not be faithful to a church because people aren't doing things the way you think they should be done.]

Now, with all of that said, think back at Noah. God called him, and he obeyed. People thought he was dead wrong or just plain stupid, but he stood firm. Why? Because the Word of God commanded. Now we are pressed with very similar circumstances. God has commanded in His Word. Will we obey?

Let's make it even tougher. After one year of obeying, and not one single person is convinced, will we still obey? Does God's word change? What about after five years? Ten? What if we were to give our entire lives to obeying what God has called us to do, yet not one single person has believed. Not one single person has been convinced. Not one changed heart. Not one transformed mind. Will we still be faithful? Despite the outcries, in the face of opposition, in the midst of persecution - will we still be faithful?

God will not judge the outcome of our ministry - He provides that and His work is good. No, God will judge the ministry itself. Were we faithful with what He gave? Did we do what He commanded? Did we plant? Did we water? He is in charge of the growth, but we are in charge of the tools He gave us. Did we use them well?

Noah did. Faithfully.

But only eight people were saved: he and his family.

And here we are thousands of years later looking back at the success of Noah. His success wasn't in numbers. It wasn't based on his clout and his desirability. It was solely on His faith. Faith not in himself, or his work, but in God alone. And we are no different than he. Will we be faithful to God and what He has called us to do?

That is the question for our times and ministries. Unfortunately so many ministers get caught up in fruitless suggestions while ignoring the word of God. They hear the multitudes shout, but neglect the voice of God. There is a way that seems right to man, but it's end is destruction. We must not go down that way.

Build what God has called you to build; the clouds are starting to gather.



[Another disclaimer. Please do not, after reading this, get that I am unconcerned with reaching the lost. In no way, shape, or form, do I want to go "93" more years without a convert. I am grieved when people do not respond to the call of Christ - especially the ones I'm around all the time. Oh, I pray that God would have mercy on them and save them. But I also understand that it is totally God's mercy and grace that saves people, on his timetable, and the only thing I can do about it is to preach His word (because that's His chosen way to offer salvation...see below). So this article is not a call to ignore the lost, it is rather a plea for faithfulness to God.]

4 comments:

Fuzface said...

Ooooh, you can write poerty! You're good too. Anyways, this is cool because growing up going to church on sundays, I have heard about Noah a lot, but somehow, you took a differnt spin on it that I never really thought about it before. Keep up the good work!

Matt Fletcher said...

I would think that in response to your "Noah" posting that you would get "flooded" with comments (pun intended). All joking aside, you made some good, practical points on ministry, which were accompanied by some important disclaimers. I pray that many will read and heed what you wrote.

lobsterseed said...

Love the poem! What you wrote really got me thinking. We tend to give up when things are not going well and try to do them on our own. Keep on doing what youre doing with the youth cuz I know that someone each week is hearing what you say and taking it home with them.

MrBillWaller of Weymouth said...

Just read your Noah blog. Thank you for loving God's people and hoping/praying that there will be more of them! You are a blessing to our congregation.